The Associate Vice President for Finance serves as the University’s Finance Assistant to the Chief Financial and Fiduciary Officer.
Scope of Responsibilities
The Associate Vice President for Finance has oversight responsibility for all financial and regulatory compliance of the university. The incumbent will provide leadership and coordination of university financial operations and ensure university compliance with accepted accounting principles. As the assistant chief fiscal officer of the university, the Associate Vice President for Finance is duly authorized to enforce policies related to the proper expenditures and accounting of university funds. He/she will assist the university Senior Vice President for Finance, Administrative Services and Operations/CFO and other university personnel in maintaining a sound financial management system.
Essential Job Functions
• Maintain an awareness of the fiscal and financial status of the university at all times • Recommend benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance • Serve as advisor to the Senior Vice President for Finance, Administrative Services and Operations/CFO on matters pertaining to the business and finance of the university • Interpret and maintain awareness of federal and state laws and regulations and the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning’s policies regarding the use, disbursement, and accounting for all funds allocated to the university • Prepare financial analysis for contract negotiations and product investment decisions • Ensure compliance with IHL’s, local, state, and federal budgetary reporting requirements • Direct and coordinate daily operations of the Bursar, Finance and Accounting departments • Provide adequate supervision of the university’s inventory department in order to ensure proper identification, inventory, safekeeping, and delivery of the university’s movable property • Supervise and coordinate the management of all activities related to the disbursement and collection of all financial aid as awarded by the financial aid office • Ensure that university accounts payable are paid in a timely manner • Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure to effectively accomplish the various departments and units goals and objectives
• Coordinate financial audits and provide recommendations for procedural improvements • Recommend and enforce university policies regarding procedures for creation, movement, use, retention, retrieval, safekeeping, emergency protection, and destruction of all financial records related to the operation of the university • Manage the preparation of all financial reports • Serve as liaison relative to financial issues • Execute any and all duties and responsibilities within the university policies which will foster and promote the growth, development, fiscal stability, and integrity of the university
• A Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
• MBA degree and/or CPA licensure preferred. • Seven to Ten years’ experience of progressively responsible financial and administrative senior management experience, preferably in a higher education institution. • Must be committed to university values of transparency, accountability, and responsibility.
Licensing and Certifications
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including generally accepted accounting principles • Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems • Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations • Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections • Experience in government contracts • Excellent analytical skills, professional skills, and written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
About Alcorn State University
Alcorn State University is a premier comprehensive land-grant university that develops diverse students into globally-competitive leaders and applies scientific research through collaborative partnerships which benefit the surrounding communities, states, nation and world.