-The position will be classified as a Director or AVP based on finalist’s experience and qualifications.
Function: To provide leadership and management of all financial operations and business processes of the Division of Student Affairs.
Scope: Responsible for oversight and development of all Student Affairs budgets. Work independently; initiate, strategize and implement major projects with a complex set of free categories including student fees and income; provide financial guidance to executive officers and management team.
1. Estimate the income for all Student Affairs incidental fee accounts; validate mandatory income and all expenses in coordination with staff from Business Affairs; develop operating, contingency, and facilities improvements and construction budgets for all program areas based on income estimations. Determine permanent increases in funding available to expand student services and programs.
2. Ensure that all Student Affairs Associate and Assistant Vice Presidents and department directors prepare appropriate budget documents that meet UTSA deadlines; coordinate and supervise departmental activities for Student Affairs processes within Student Affairs; prepare financial and technical reports; plan and prepare information needed for fiscal strategic initiatives; trace all expenditures and processing of appropriate fiscal documents; ensure that fiscal policies and procedures are followed; take lead responsibility in providing direction and training to staff to ensure that fiscal processes and reports are completed accurately, consistently, and on-time, manage fiscal risk through the development and updating of policies and procedures, training, reporting processes, and audits.
3. Represent the Vice President and serve as a member on all committees involving financing for Student Affairs.
4. Collaborate with the Vice President for Business Affairs and Student Affairs during the yearly budget process to ensure realignment for budgets due to legislative adjustments, determine subsidies for Student Affairs, and determine appropriate transfer to/from general revenue. Review and finalize all Student Affairs department budgets and verify accuracy to UTSA Budget Office prior to finalization of budgets. Identify and correct outdated processes, procedures and errors to prevent loss in funding or income. Review and recommend approval of, and audit after implementation VPSA services agreements. Ensure that audit and compliance procedures are followed for all agreements.
5. Ensure that appropriate fiscal processes are followed by Student Affairs areas; develop and implement audit/management system and appropriate tools to ensure fiscal compliance; remain abreast of latest financial system, UTS System, state, local and federal fiscal and human resources policies, including grants and contracts regulations.
6. Review all Student Affairs request for personnel changes and serve as liaison between VPSA and Human Resources as it relates to funding and compensation. Provide oversight for recruitment, hiring, and payroll for all Student Affairs areas. Provide oversight for merit and compression processes. Ensure compliance of TSA, UT System state, and federal human resources policies and processes for Student Affairs FAR group.
7. Liaison with the Financial Area Representatives (FAR) group for the university and develop and lead the Student Affairs (FAR) group.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Provide consultation and trainings to Student Affairs departments on budget processes.
2. Serve as lead staff member from Student Affairs with executives officers, faculty staff, and students on policy-recommending committees, including but not limited to, Tuition Deregulations & Fees, VPSA Executive Council, and Student Wages Committees.
3. Serve as lead staff member on all student financial advisory fee committees, including Student Services Fee, Health, Student Union, and Recreation. Serve as a committee member for all student referenda for fee increases.
Required: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field from an accredited institution.
Preferred: Master's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field from an accredited institution.
Working knowledge of computerized accounting system and budget oversight tools. Strong mathematical and financial computational skills.
Director: Ten years of progressively responsible managerial fiscal experience to include supervisory experience.
Assistant Vice President: Fifteen years of progressively responsible managerial fiscal experience to include supervisory experience.
Excellent written and verbal communication, organizational and analytical skills; must be detail-oriented and able to conceptualize long-range fiscal needs and priorities; must be able to work independently and collaborate with others; ability to make and verify computations with accuracy, to compile statistical data and prepare routine information in an understandable manner, sound judgment and decision-making ability.
Criminal background check.
Internal Number: BES20180565P
About The University of Texas at San Antonio
Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs