The American University of Rome (AUR) is looking for a Director of Finance to oversee all financial aspects of its activities and drive the university’s financial strategy and planning. This position ensures that there are effective financial and accounting system controls and standards in place, and is responsible for the accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, tax compliance, investments, insurance, and audit functions of the organization.
The Director of Finance is a member of the Senior Advisory Council and works closely with the President and the Board of Trustees, playing a critical role in strategic decision making and operations as AUR continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity.
• Lead the financial planning of the university by analyzing its data, performance and risks;
• Prepare, analyze and clearly communicate and review financial, statements and reports for the President, the Board of Trustees and other stakeholders;
• Support the university’s development strategy and manage relationships with partners and investors;
• Prepare, communicate and present critical financial matters to the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees;
• Monitor financial progress and changes and keep the President and the Board of Trustees abreast of the organization’s financial status;
• Manage organizational cash flow and forecasts;
• Oversee students’ billing and collection;
• Oversite of all bank accounts and investment vehicles to maintain adequate working capital and return;
• Update, document and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices to improve the finance department’s efficiency and financial controls;
• Ensure compliance with Federal, local and any other financial, tax reporting and regulatory requirements;
• Provide financial information to meet the needs of managers including producing customized financial reports, costing templates, trend analysis on a regular basis;
• Set targets for and supervise accounting and finance personnel;
• Oversee all audit and control operations;
• Ensure adherence to financial laws and guidelines;
• Perform any other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements
• Advanced degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration;
• CPA or other relevant qualification a plus;
• A minimum of 5-7 years in financial administration with progressive growth in responsibility;
• In-depth knowledge of US higher education finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices;
• Solid knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting;
• Ability to translate financial concepts to and effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds;
• Experience working with grants and endowments a plus;
• Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors;
• Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making;
• Able to work extended hours, and travel to the States as needed;
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders in a multi- cultural environment;
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, professionalism, a commitment to lead by example and dedication to the mission of The American University of Rome.
• Full time position, with initial 1-year contract
• Compensation competitive and based upon experience
• Position located in Rome, Italy, with periodical travel to the States
• Interviews will start in early September
How to Apply:
Please email a resume, cover letter (quote re: Director of Finance HR 29/2018) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate where you learned about the job.
AUR is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity and inclusion in its work and staff.