Reporting directly to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Advancement Operations, the Director of Business Services oversees the administration and management of DU Advancements internal resources, inclusive of budget, human resources, and space. In this capacity, s/he will imagine, develop, support, and maintain sustainable, best-practice systems and policies to support the efficiency and efficacy of the advancement effort. As a key advisor to the Associate Vice Chancellor and other leaders in advancement and across campus, the Director provides insight and guidance on a wide range of resourcing strategies, challenges, and opportunities. S/he also partners closely with other advancement leaders and colleagues to plan and direct administrative, financial, operational, and staffing activities for the organization.
- Budget Administration
- Strategically manage the DU Advancement operating budget, ensuring that resources are leveraged effectively in the best interests of the University. The DU Advancement operating budget includes 4 unique responsibility centers and a total of more than 80 specific programmatic budgets.
- In close partnership with the Associate Vice Chancellor and the senior leadership team, lead the budget modeling process for DU Advancement.
- Develop growth models to leverage general operating and campaign resources to support division objectives.
- Ensure that resources are allocated according to the needs and priorities of the division, implementing control systems to ensure compliance with DU policies and procedures, and serve as a strong partner to advancement leaders in managing budgetary resources in their respective areas.
- Monitor division spending and operational savings and support managers in understanding and managing budgets allocated to their programs.
- Develop monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to show the overall financial health of DU Advancement.
- Human Resources & Internal Relations
- Oversee the execution of key initiatives to support the attraction, acquisition, engagement, development, and retention of a talented and diverse team of 120+ advancement professionals.
- Lead recruitment and onboarding efforts to attract, hire and support talented advancement professionals.
- Facilitate the regular execution and analysis of DU Advancements employee engagement survey.
- Recommend and develop programming to support employee engagement.
- Oversee internal communications efforts designed to keep the entire advancement team informed, engaged, and involved in organizational changes, successes, and regular updates.
- Serve as a resource to supervisors across the division to promote compliance with specific policies, processes and procedures. This includes but is not limited to employee timekeeping and approval, performance management processes, and goal setting/evaluation.
- Building Management
- Lead space planning efforts for DU Advancement, including modeling short-term and long-term space plans based on the divisions staffing strategy.
- Partner with the Associate Vice Chancellor and advancement leadership team to execute large and small-scale office moves.
- Work with the University of Denver's Facilities Office to maintain the cleanliness, safety and functionality of DU Advancements physical spaces.
- In this capacity, serve as a building manager and emergency coordinator for 4 primary office locations and the student calling (telefund) center.
- Provide comprehensive leadership of the DU Advancement business services team. This includes supervising a team of three full-time operations employees.
- Serve as a strong coach and mentor to advancement professionals and foster a cohesive, synergistic, and collaborative office culture.
- University Citizenship
- Serve as an active and collaborative partner to all advancement functions, the Office of Shared Services, Human Resources, Budget & Planning, Facilities and other campus colleagues, to foster strategic, effective, and collaborative fundraising practices.
- Model "One DU" leadership.