Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Budget, the Finance Specialist II provides financial planning, analysis, and forecasting for specific areas of Infrastructure, Properties and Planning (IPP). Funding sources are typically limited to a service center, as well as designated funding.
The Finance Specialist II position develops and maintains professional working relationships with other Cornell departments. This includes, but is not limited to, the Division of Financial Affairs, the Division of Planning and Budget, and the University Financial Service Center (UFSC).
This position current supports the following units in IPP:
1. Energy & Sustainability, which includes:
- Potable Water
- Waste Water
- Energy & Sustainability Administration
2. IPP Finance
Major Unit Responsibilities:
- Act as the primary department resource (key / first point of contact) for financial information and expertise for units supported.
- Accountable for the financial integrity of the financial statements for the business units supported ensuring adherence to University Policy and procedures.
- Work closely with unit Director / Managers to prepare monthly forecasting and quarterly / annual financial reporting for review by Associate Director of Budget.
- Detailed budget development for units supported.
- Rate calculation and development for service center units supported. (Includes service center and internal overhead cost recovery units.)
- Collaborate with Associate Director of Budget for preparation of any necessary presentations for units supported.
- Provides data / analysis to support external audits for units supported.
- Participate in streamlining efforts to improve service delivery and / or increase in automation of financial reporting.
The Finance Specialist II is the liaison with the natural gas provider for the campus; responsible for supporting Cornell Procurement Services when bidding natural gas basis and/or commodity costs; reviews and approves payments to natural gas provider.
This position will review / prepare utility consumption numbers for utilization in service center budgeting and Utility Budget Model preparation.
The Finance Specialist II is primarily responsible for electronic review and approval of utility payment processing.
Calculate and prepare Sales Tax report for University Financial Service Center on a monthly basis.
Ours is a values–based organization where all employees are accountable for supporting the organization’s values of truth, respect, excellence, teamwork, and integrity. IPP employees are required to attend staff development trainings and participate in the performance evaluation process.