Montclair State University
Vice President for Human Resources
Building on a distinguished 109-year history, Montclair State University is a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The University’s ten colleges and schools serve 21,000 undergraduate and graduate students in over 300 programs. Situated on a beautiful 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Reporting to the President, the Vice President for Human Resources is the University's Chief Human Resources professional and has responsibility for leading the development and implementation of policies, practices and administrative systems in the areas of Employee Relations, Talent Acquisition, Staffing, Affirmative Action/EEO and Diversity, Payroll, Benefits, Organizational Development and Training, and HR Systems. The Vice President is the President’s principal advisor in regard to human resources policy and is the primary guide and support in regard to human resources matters for the University’s vice presidents and deans. The Vice President serves as the University’s chief negotiator for all locally-negotiated labor contracts, is the primary representative of the University in developing and maintaining productive relationships with the leadership of the various bargaining units that represent University employees, and plays an important role in regard to related statewide negotiations. The Vice President is responsible for providing effective employment-related services to a large and diverse workforce and for overseeing the management of the human resources information technology database systems, including the administration of compensation and payroll, personnel files and other data retention and reporting requirements for faculty and staff.
- Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Labor Relations or a related field, or a J.D.
- Fifteen (15) years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources and Labor Relations.
- Higher education and public sector experience in a unionized environment.
- Interpersonal and problem-solving skills with a proven track record of developing and maintaining effective working relationships with a wide range of employee constituents.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing, respecting, and enhancing employee diversity.
- Knowledge and experience in the effective use of HR information systems, especially Workday.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
For further details regarding this opportunity, please visit:
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION