As a member of the Senior Team, this position is responsible for the combined functions of administrative and financial affairs. Overall responsibilities typically include accounting, purchasing, investments, strategic planning, human resources, risk management and related business matters. Assumes leadership role in financial planning and analysis. Works closely with constituents including staff, faculty, students, trustee committees, business allies and members of the local/regional community on selected strategic initiatives to develop and improve college programs, policies and financial condition. This position reports directly to the President.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for and advises the President on issues involving finance, personnel, planning, and policy development
- Oversees all operations of the Business Office
- Monitors the College's cash flow, investments, payables, receivables and payroll functions
- Prepares annual college budget in collaboration with the President and advises others in budget process and procedures
- Responsible for advising on the investment of the Colleges Endowment Fund
- Works closely with the Trustees' Audit and Finance, Investment and Facilities Committees
- Oversees College's annual financial and 403(b) audits
- Collaborates with Senior Team on all financial awards which may include setting discount rates and tuition payment plans
- Assist President with strategic resource allocation and budgeting
- Helps to prioritize and schedule department work in coordination with other Department Heads as necessary
- Oversees bids for granting of contracts for liability and health and welfare insurance
- Works with Committees to carry out Capital Improvements
- Writes lease and rental agreements when appropriate
- Coordinates personnel policies and procedures for staff; including the Employment Guidelines Manual, benefits management, salary scales and hiring procedures with Human Resources
- Remains current with federal and state legislation ensuring College's compliance with GAAP, Human Resource Compliance Rules and Regulations, such as: FLSA, Workmen's Compensation Legislation, nondiscrimination requirements, ERISA etc.
- Ensures compliance with requirements of the IRS and State Audit
- Sits on the Committees as assigned by President or in an ad-hoc manner
- Other asks and responsibilities as assigned by the President.
Required - Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, or similar degree.
Preferred - Master's degree in Finance or related field
5+ years' experience; preferably in higher education
- Practiced and successful team player with passion about Marlboro College's mission
- Strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgement, strong operational focus and a creative thinker
- Proven track record of cost savings, process analysis and best practices experience
- Well organized and self-directed
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proficiency in operating computer systems (Windows, Microsoft Office, Outlook, Google Apps)