OHIO University is seeking a qualified applicant for a Senior Accountant within the General Accounting & Financial Reporting department.
Established in 1804, OHIO University is the oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of Ohio and the first in the Northwest Territory. Located in the scenic Appalachian foothills, its classic residential campus in Athens, Ohio, is one of the most attractive in the nation.
This position prepares & supports complex financial reporting including audited financial statements, Board of Trustee reports, and internal management reports. Answers policy and procedure questions for campus customers regarding general accounting, reporting, chart of accounts and other accounting and control related issues.
1. Prepare entries, complete monthly/quarterly account reconciliations, and develop schedules for the quarterly financial statements including but not limited to supporting documents, variance analysis, trend reports, graphs, and charts that provide support and backup for forecasted statements in compliance with quarterly date schedule. Work with AVP /Controller and Director on process improvements to the quarterly close process that may include things like process redesign for better efficiencies, development of reports for more efficient and timely reporting capabilities, and system enhancements that provide additional information or assist in decreasing the time required for quarterly close. Assist in the preparation of Board of Trustee materials as required.
2. Assists internal and external auditors with their examination of university financial statements, State of Ohio CAFR , other external reports (i.e. NCAA and CPB ) special audits and agreed upon procedures audits. Prepares and supervises preparation of audit schedules and workpapers. Assists Director in the preparation of the Annual Financial Report including financial statements, footnotes and information for the Management Discussion & Analysis.
3. Serves as the primary department contact to provide consultative guidance and recommendations/solutions to campus departments and central administration staff related to impacts and implementation of new accounting pronouncements, regulatory (Unrelated Business Income) and policy/practice issues, fiscal management, and internal controls. Requires incumbent to remain knowledgeable of current changes in accounting regulations, OMB Circulars, EADA Reporting, NCAA audit and reporting requirements, Cost Accounting Standards, tax code and other guidance/mandates related to accounting operations.
4. Actively pursue and supervise the implementation of new technologies and initiatives in the area of general accounting and financial reporting. Assists in the ongoing training of processes and systems for general accounting and financial/management reporting both internal to the department as well as the campus community.
5. Works with supervisor and on project teams to assist with the development of policies/procedures relative to the administration of general accounting practices and financial reporting initiatives (includes external and internal reporting) and includes both creation and implementation. Requires continuous evaluation of current business practices as well as keeping up to date on industry best practices. Responsible for dissemination of information and respective training initiatives, both internal to the department and for the campus community.
6. Other duties as assigned.
Position is responsible for interpreting and complying with federal regulations, GAAP, Cost Accounting Standards and university policies and procedures. This includes decision making regarding allowability of costs, requirements for additional sponsor approvals, and decisions regarding cost sharing requirements. This position also has latitude to identify, define and resolve issues related to sponsored projects in accordance with federal and other funding agencies, university policies and procedures and regulations. The Manager will keep the Director informed of issues and the solutions, as well as current technologies and regulations and consult with the Director on difficult or unique situations.